Launch of Second Training Module for Elected Members of Local Authorities
The OPR has launched a second training module for elected members of local authorities.
There will be three webinars in this module. The new module is entitled “A Guide for Councillors on the Development Management Process.”
The module will address:
- how the development plan is implemented via the development management process;
- the factors that are taken into consideration by local authorities when making decisions on planning applications;
- the factors that are taken into consideration by An Bord Pleanála when making decisions on planning appeals; and
- the planning enforcement mechanisms that are available to local authorities.
The first webinar will be delivered on Friday, 27 November from 10-11.30 am and is entitled: “Implementation of the Development Plan and the Development Management Process.”
The individual presentations will deal with:
- The role of the elected member in the development management process.
- The link between the elected members’ plan-making function and the development management process.
The purpose of the webinar is to confirm the legislative and regulatory position of elected members as regards their input to the development management process. It will also highlight, when and where, it is appropriate for elected members to engage with the process and outline how to do so effectively.
The presentations will be delivered by Niall Cussen, Planning Regulator and Anne Marie O’Connor, Deputy Planning Regulator. The presentations will last 30 minutes each and will be followed by a Q&A session.
Future Training – 2021
The second webinar in this training module will take place on Friday, 22 January 2021. It will be entitled “The Decision on the Planning Application and Appeal.”
The webinar will deal with the factors that are taken into consideration by local authorities when they are making decisions on planning applications. A local authority planning director of services will deliver the first presentation. The second presentation will deal with the factors that are taken into consideration by An Bord Pleanála when they are making decisions on planning appeals. This presentation will be delivered by a speaker from An Bord Pleanála.
The third webinar in the module will be delivered on Friday, 26 February and will provide “An Overview of Planning Enforcement Functions.” The presentations will give an overview of the planning enforcement mechanisms available to local authorities and practical delivery aspects of effective enforcement. In this case, a local authority planning director of services and a legal expert dealing with these matters.