The Office of the Planning Regulator (OPR) is working in conjunction with the Association of Irish Local Government (AILG) to provide planning training to Local Authority Members.
The purpose of the training is to provide elected members with enhanced knowledge of the planning process, reaffirming their roles and responsibilities within the planning system and their functions in relation to ensuring proper planning and sustainable development.
The first sessions are scheduled for:
Thursday, 10 October, 2019 at the Radisson Hotel, Limerick
Saturday, 12 October, 2019 at the Crown Plaza Hotel, Dundalk
The first session will be led by the Planning Regulator, Niall Cussenand will also be addressed by senior planning advisors from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government.
Module 1 Topics
Introduction to the Planning System
- Purpose of planning and its legislative/policy framework
- Roles and responsibilities of the Executive and Members
- Purpose of the OPR in the planning system
- Role of the public in the planning process & outcomes in planning
To arrange attendance, please contact the Corporate Services Department in your relevant Local Authority.
Please note this training is for Local Authority Members only.
Module 2 (early 2020)
The Plan Making Process
- How elected members work within the regulatory framework
- How public observations and environmental assessments impact on policy decisions
- Ministerial guidelines, government policy and European environmental directives
The Development Management Process
- Planning applications and decisions
- Planning appeals and judicial reviews
- Public participation in the planning process
Subsequent Modules: Details to be announced
AILG is a networking, policy development and training resource for the elected members of Ireland’s thirty-one County and City Councils. Its “Elected Members Training Programme” delivers training across a wide range of local authority functions and related activities.
The Planning Regulator addressed the Autumn Training Seminar of the Association of Local Irish Government (AILG) in September. The title of the Regulator’s presentation was “ThePlanning Process and the Office of the Planning Regulator.”