The Office of the Planning Regulator (OPR) in conjunction with the Association of Irish Local Government (AILG) commenced its training to Local Authority Members with two well-attended sessions in Limerick and Dundalk held on October 10th and 12th respectively.
The purpose of the training was to provide elected members with enhanced knowledge of the planning process, reaffirming their roles and responsibilities within the planning system and their functions in relation to ensuring proper planning and sustainable development.
The delegates were addressed by:
- Damien English, TD Minister of State at the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government (DHPLG) with special responsibility for Housing and Urban Development
- Niall Cussen, The Planning Regular : Purpose of the OPR in the Planning System
- Stewart Logan, Senior Planning Advisor, Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government (Limerick): Our Planning System Legislative and Policy Context
- Colin Ryan, Senior Planning Advisor, Department of Housing Planning and Local Government (Dundalk): Our Planning System Legislative and Policy Context
- Pat Ledwidge, former Deputy Chief Executive of Cork City Council: Elected Members and the Executive
This training session was the first in a series for elected representatives. Specifically, it covered the purpose of planning and its legislative/policy framework, roles and responsibilities of the Executive and Members, purpose of the OPR in the planning system and role of the public in the planning process & outcomes in planning.
Read the presentations
Attendees were also provided with OPR documents relating to The Administrative and Legal Framework for Planning and the OPR’s Guide to the Planning Process.
The OPR will be arranging future sessions in the coming months, to arrange attendance, please contact the Corporate Services Department in your relevant Local Authority. Please note this training is for Local Authority Members only.
AILG is a networking, policy development and training resource for the elected members of Ireland’s thirty-one County and City Councils. Its “Elected Members Training Programme” delivers training across a wide range of local authority functions and related activities.
Caption: Niall Cussen, the Planning Regulator (centre) with county councillors who attended the recent AILG training seminar