Ellis Court, Dublin City Centre
Ellis Court, one of Irelands first social housing schemes built in the 1880s, has been brought back to its original use and now provides 22 homes in Dublin City Centre.
Originally designed in 1885 on behalf of, what was then known as Dublin Corporation, the building would remain in use for social housing purposes up until 2005, when severe fire damage meant it had to be vacated.
The project saw the building undergo major restoration works that has retained most of the structure’s historical integrity, while successfully converting it to modern residential accommodation.
The approved plans for the refurbishment included the building of a new extension, with the overall development now consisting of 19 apartments (6 one-beds and 13 two-beds) and 3 townhouses (2 two-beds and 1 three-bed homes).
Restoring and retaining the rich character of historical buildings, not only reinvigorates the areas in which people live, but also conserves the historical and cultural landscape of our cities.
The building was as part of a collaborative project between Tuath Housing, Dublin City Council and the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.